In The People’s Corner (ITPC) advocates for health equality by addressing health disparities in Los Angeles through the provision of free health services to Los Angeles’ underserved or disengaged homeless persons. ITPC does this by locating areas in Los Angeles that have high health disparities and partnering with health organizations to provide free goods and multidisciplinary services at a mobile event, Louie’s Clinic, at least once a month. These FREE services include:
- Covid-19 testing with appropriate referral for quarantine housing placement.
- Covid-19 vaccine.
- Flu immunization.
- HIV testing, appropriate counseling, and clinic referrals.
- Syphilis testing, appropriate counseling, and clinic referrals.
- HIV PrEP/PEP counseling and referrals.
- Mental health support in the form of field-based engagement services and intensive case management.
- Narcan provision and training for opioid overdose prevention.
- Basic health screening (blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol).
- Primary care referrals.
- Wound care.
- Needle disposal station and harm reduction kits.
- Provisions: Hand Sanitizer, Face Masks, Food, Water.
The goal of In The People’s Corner is to, not only provide health services, but to connect our target audience with local health organizations to establish continuity of care. Working together with community health organizations we hope to change a system of structural racism and structural inequity to one of racial equity such that the distribution of society’s benefits and burden will no longer be skewed by race. We hope to build a relationship of trust with our low-income communities instilling the message that their health matters.
“We will stand up for what is right, for what is fair and what is just. Health care is a right and not a privilege.”
— John Lewis